Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Practicing Multiplication

In Math, we are using flashcards to review multiplication combinations we know and to identify the ones we need to work on. We are developing strategies for solving unknown multiplication combinations, like using a “starting with” combination. For example, many of us agreed that 9 x 12 is tricky. Imagine 9 x 12 as an array. There are many different ways to cut up the array to make this an easier problem.



Some of us chose to start with 9 x 10 = 90. Then we add 9 x 2 to find the answer.
90 + 18 =108. Note how this looks on an array.



There are other ways to start this problem. Some of us split the 12 up into a 6 and a 6, and solve the problem by figuring out (9 x 6) + (9 x 6). 54 + 54 = 108.


For these first examples, we kept the 9 and split up the 12.   Some of us saw this problem differently, and kept the 12 and split up the 9. Here is an example of (3 x 12) + (3 x 12) + (3 x 12).



Those of us who already automatically know all of our multiplication to 12 x 12 are applying this strategy to mentally solve double digit times single digit multiplication problems. For example, to solve 19 x 6, I can break up the 19 into 10 and 9:

10 x 6 = 60
9 x 6 = 54
60 + 50 + 4 = 114

Home/School Connection:  Which multiplication problems are a little tricky for you?  How do you solve them mentally?  Tell us about it on the blog!  If you are stuck, use grid paper to draw the array and actually cut it into parts.  When you have an array, you can always use a strategy to find a product!

19 comments:

  1. I find the multiplucation arrays hard!
    Alastair

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think once you practice using arrays, they will become easier for you. I will work with you in class tomorrow!

    Mrs. LaVoie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working on 8X7 my trick for it is 4x7+4x7=56 and 28+28=56 there is also 6x7 and my trick is 3x7+3x7=42 and 21+21=42

    axelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working on my 8, and 7 times table.I have a trick for the 9s that I toght Axell.


    Ilinca

    ReplyDelete
  5. if i were to do this problem then i would work it out by doing 10 times 9=90 then 2 times 9=18 and 18+90=108
    megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think multiplucation facts over 7 are quite hard because i have not learned them yet! Alastair

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would count in 9 x 10 =90 9+9 =18 90+18=108.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did 9x10=90+9x2=18 and 90+18=108.
    sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  9. we are working on double digit times single digit multiplication. it is very hard.

    Chiho,Aoi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did 12x10 and then that is 120 and then
    120-12=108

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  11. For me the 12, 6, 7, 8,4 are a bit hard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think that the first story problems are little easy for me because i all ready new them by mind but i will tell you the stratigy that i used in 3rd grade. i brook them into half and then we solved them together.

    Sinsarly: Nina

    ReplyDelete
  13. usally i find the nearest 10 and start from there. it makes it easier to subtract, add, multiply or divid by tens

    ReplyDelete
  14. i did 9 x 12 =

    Like this: 9x10=90

    90+9+9=108

    julia

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wouled split the 12 into a 10. 10x9=90.90+18=108.
    From: 007 Jimy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi i hope you have a good time with mrs.lavoie i did

    libby 5.4

    ReplyDelete
  17. i got a trick for the 9, 5. 10

    Julia 4.3

    ReplyDelete
  18. hello,
    I'm from 5.3
    this blog is cool.
    Come to 5.3 we have done alot of stuff so far.

    from Elise

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice to meet you Julia, I am glad that you got a trick for the 9, 5, 10 tables. Can you teach me those tricks? Minju in 5.3

    ReplyDelete