Thursday, November 25, 2010

Where we are in Place and Time

We have started our new unit.  The transdisciplinary theme is, “Where we are in Place and Time,” and our central idea is, “Advances in technology change the way we do things.”  We unpacked the central idea together, and had an interesting debate about what we consider to be technology.  We came to the conclusion that anything we use to make our lives easier or more entertaining can be considered technology.  However, in this unit, we are thinking about Information and Communication Technology (I.C.T.).

After we all understood the central idea, we rewrote it in our home language or in kid friendly language. 



Next, we had a look at the performance based assessment task that will culminate our unit.  This way we all know where we are going, which will help us plan our inquiries.  The task is:

‘I.S.D. provides a variety of technology to support student learning. The school is considering purchasing an iPod touch for each classroom, but we need to know if it is actually better than existing technology. You will design and perform tests to compare the iPod touch with our existing technology. Using set criteria, you will report the results of your tests and write a persuasive text to either recommend or reject the iPod touch.’

We decided that before we can make an informed decision, we need to inquire into how technology is already being used in the school.  As table groups, we brainstormed all of the types of technology that are used in school that we could think of. 








We came up with quite a list:

  • Livescribe pen
  • Computers
  • Interactive whiteboard
  • Security camera
  • iPod touch
  • coffee machine
  • electricity socket
  • speakers
  • alarm
  • solar panels
  • elevator
  • projector
  • printer
  • lights
  • Easy view
  • Batteries
  • Television
  • Copy machine
  • Heater
  • Telephone
  • Memory sticks
  • Clocks
  • Oven
  • Electric blinds
  • Cameras
  • Microphone

Next we will decide which technology on the list is I.C.T. and find out if there is I.C.T. being used in the school that is not yet on our list…  We are going to be busy!

Home/School Connection:  In your home language, discuss this post.  What technology did your parents use in school?  How about your grandparents (I am sure they would love a phone call to discuss this with you.)?  How has learning changed in the digital age?  Leave a comment on the blog that shows what you have found out.

3 comments:

  1. I like this unit because i like technologhy and i know my self out in technologhy.

    From

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this unit is going to be really cool because I love working with tecnolegy.
    ALASTAIR

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Very exited about our new Unit. I hope we hav lots of fun.
    From Jimy

    ReplyDelete